9.26.2020

guest post: keith hufnagel (2011)


Felt like a good time to revisit this... 

The following is a repost of Huf's Chrome Ball Guest Post from 2011.

A simple premise: I asked Keith to choose ten of his favorite skate flicks and give us a few words about each one.

...and Keith came though, like he always did. 

A true legend, not only was Keith one of my all-time personal favorite skaters growing up, he was also one of this website's earliest (CBI #3) and most constant (CBI #119) supporters. 

Forever grateful for that.

R.I.P. Keith Hufnagel 

Thank you.

=O =O =O 


**The Huf Incident**

I was such a fan of Jason Lee and Gonz in the day... I loved Blind until they left the company. I remember one time, them showing up to the Brooklyn Banks and ripping. I was just a little kid but I was so stoked to watch them skate.


I wanted to grab an older photo of Gonz but this one is just too epic. Look how skinny the ledge is! You would have to be Gonz to try this. AHHHHHHHHH!

 

I had this one on my wall as a kid. This is the photo that made me want to learn how to do 360 kickflips. I remember always watching Jason and Jovantae do them in videos and wanting to do 360 flips like that.

 

I've been a big fan of Guy Mariano ever since the Blind Video. I never really liked watching little kids skate but he always had so much style.

Guy did every trick in the world 10 years before anyone else did. Much respect.


This photo defines the period when I first moved to SF in '92 and would chill at EMB. Mike was always there and became a great friend. I've always been a fan of his skating.

All I can think of when I look at this photo is Del the Funkee Homosapien... and what the hell is going on with Mike's hair?!

Doing ecstasy with Mike and going to raves... damn, those were the days!


I saw Sean in front of Skate NYC one day. He was doing the hugest ollies in the street. All I wanted to do was ollie high after that.

This was always the sickest photo to me. Julien Stranger after the '89 earthquake. Seeing him ollie so big off a natural bump back then. Damn! You know I had this one on my wall as well.


Phil Shao. I was there in Las Vegas the day this photo was taken. I wanted to ollie off that myself but was too scared. Phil is the man. He also ollied up that huge ledge as well. No one knows that shit except for me and Lance. Most stylish skater ever.

R.I.P. Phil. We miss you.


I had to have this one as part of my top 10. Ray Barbee is one of the steeziest guys out there. He was always innovating and pushing the limits of street skating. Style for days.


Epic Cardiel photo. If you ever go to Ft. Miley, go as fast as you can to this hip and try to bust a fat ollie. After you try for a few hours, call me up and tell me how fucked up this shit is. It is fucking epic. I only know of 3 people that can ollie off of this hip this high! Amazing!

Alright, I just realized that my picks are almost all ollies... fuck it.

Shit is tight!

-Keith

big thanks to Jaycee, Jim Thiebaud and Huf for coming through once again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP HUF

Anonymous said...

There's a common thread between the photos HUF chose and his ability to Ollie unlike any other... Ride in peace Keith. HUF FOREVER ��