11.30.2009

chrome ball incident #386: nothing is impossible








"not trying to kiss too much butt here..."

I just want to go on record in saying that I don't know of any other skater with the sheer volume of top-quality coverage as john cardiel. this is his 6th post and while the majority of pros would have bottomed out by now, cards actually has several legendary flicks yet to be scanned.

so many photos and not a single one could be labeled as "mediocre"... I honestly feel like I've barely even begun to scratch the surface.

had some requests for this transworld spotlight that I'm more than happy to honor. all hail.

also, stoked on this ron knigge article over at slap. good job lucas.

9 comments:

Henry said...

It's a shame Ron K. became associated with the worst of the 90s. His part in Children of the Sun was good.

The thing that trips me out about Cardiel is, I dropped in on a vert ramp for the first time at the Skatepark of Houston. I wasn't wearing pads, and I was like, Whoa, this is gnarly. Cardiel did a 540 on a vert ramp for the first time with no pads- I can't even imagine doing that.

dedleg said...

Cardiel is a legend - it's that simple. One of the absolute greats. You've got to be to have that kind of coverage.

Anonymous said...

Yet another quality post.

I would like to formally issue a request for any Brian Gaberman, Jon Miner, or Mike Manzoori scans.

thanks again

chops said...

thanks for the comments, guys.

i actually think about that same thing everytime i skate any sort of harsh transition, coals. didn't he try backflips without pads too?

dedleg, indeed. But even in the legend category, cards is still way ahead of the pack.

anon1, you're welcome.

anon2, i'll try to find some. i actually know of a supersick jon miner photo i've been wanting to squeeze in somewhere.

Anonymous said...

cardiel is the man

could you upload the photos from thrasher(?) of him skating livingston (scotland), which he mentions in the interview, in 1992?

Anonymous said...

I have to know:

How do you pronounce Ron Knigge's last name?

I used to say "Knee-g", or "Knee-j"

I have a friend that you to insist that it was pronounced "Niggee"

The Shafter House said...

I usta have all those photos on my wall....

Anonymous said...

One of my faves growing up. Interesting post...last night for some reason cardiel's sight unseen part with the gonz intro popped into my head. "It seems the faster he goes the more control he has..." I'm not sure why. i lost my vhs copy of it years ago.

Keith said...

I was never really into Cardiel back in the day but the older I get, the more I like him.

That Knigge thing in bonkers...