6.08.2008

chrome ball incident #51: the young mc

Ya know, its kinda hard not to sound like some sorta crazy psychotic stalker-type when it comes to writing about some of these old school Girl guys. Over the years, you start to realize that you have actually gotten to know quite a bit about them through various interviews, articles, and video parts... not to mention Crailtap.

Take Mike Carroll for example. Just by casually following his almost-20 year career, I know (or at least have heard about): his "bubble", his trick sock, the infamous apple trick, the name of his dog, that he's got a legendarily hairy chest, and at one point he seemed to really love macaronni and cheese.

And that's just off the top of my head. That's pretty fuckin' nuts. I don't even know this man nor have I ever met him. And its not like I'm some crazy obsessed fan or something... this is all fairly common knowledge. I seriously have relatives that I've known my whole life and I couldn't tell you that much about them (which I guess means that I'm an asshole).

Don't get me wrong, I really love this about Girl and its riders, that they're so much more open to the public than other companies. But when it came to start writing something for this post, I started out with all these ideas from knowing all this shit about him... I actually had to back-off cause I sounded like I was absolutely out of my mind.

*author's note: there are no bad Mike Carroll parts. none. And my man has had a lot of parts. I just took the easy route and picked "Questionable" cause its probably my favorite, although I could be easily swayed (I'm really partial to Modus and the FTC ones but again, they're all good).

I'm curious to know what your favorite Carroll part is. Let's hear it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

goldfish was pretty sick. and the new one.

chops said...

goldfish is awesome, too. with De La's "oodles of o's" and union square. nice pick. and that fully flared part is just plain nasty. thanks holmes.

Anonymous said...

I'd say FTC Penal code or Chocolate tour. Sharing with Rick Howard is not a bad idea... Modus is tight too. It's really hard to just choose one.
When Questionable came out I saw that video a 1000 times. So that'll be the most seen...

Anonymous said...

hmmm......

Modus.

smorales said...

yeah modus is pretty fresh.

What's up with the Mike Daher and Tobin Yelland sections in that Slap?

chops said...

to be honest, look for them both up soon. i think people sleep on how nice those first 5 years of slap really were.

Keith said...

Watching Carroll in Not the New H-Street Video. You could tell he was gonna be great.

It's hard to pick a favourite. You're right that he's never had a bad part. Penal Code is a favourite for sure.

Watson said...

I'm gonna have to go with Goldfish or Modus.

I feel out-triviad because I don't know what the trick sock is. Damn it.

chops said...

i'm getting my poindexter on.... nerdin' out. Its from an ancient interview in TWS. Not sure why it made such an impression on me... I'm guessing that he used to wear the same lucky sock everyday?

http://www.skateboarding.com/article.jsp?ID=1000011466&typeID=100

Watson said...

Oh yeah, sick dude. I remember that interview, but didn't take note of the trick sock.

Must be weird for people to know all about you. When Chocolate came through for the Se Habla Canuck tour, my friend Trent had read on The Tap that Scott Johnston was going to propose to his girlfriend, and Trent asked him how it went. He told me Johnston seemed sort of weirded out.

admin said...

goldfish and penal code too.
was weird when he said the penal code stuff was just throw away stuff in that skateboarder article about all his past sections. obviously we love them, funny to see carroll casting a critical eye over them all.

chops said...

aw man, that's right. good call. You always hear about how overly-critical that dude is, but damn!!!

Penal Code was my jam (didn't he skate to Ras Kass' Drama in that one?) but I thought his part in Finally... (FTC1) was also real good. Surprised nobody's brought it up yet.

Anonymous said...

MIKE DAHER EXPLODES!!!

chops said...

yeah... seriously. how the hell did they let that go to print?

isidro said...

ok,five years later...

questionable,for the impact that it meant back then to me and,prolly everybody.

goldfish was just so cool and modus is a killer.